What We Do:
Serve as Health Educator, Health Counselor, Health Referral agent, Health Care Advocate, and Support Group Facilitator
- RN for Blood Pressure Screening during the Knights' Breakfast 1-2 times per year
- Co-Facilitator for Cancer Support Group (monthly) or Grief Support Group -six sessions 1-2 times per year
- Volunteer for Parish Health Education, assist with food prep, registrations, set up, clean up, etc.. -1-2 times per year
- Teach a Priest Health Education course or module - 1 time
- Write articles for Church publications, website - as needed
- RN for Time Out exercises of Blood Pressure screening - 1-4 times per month
- Facilitate other support groups - weight loss, exercise or other
- RN to administer flu shots, assist with registrations - 1 time per year in October
- Assist with Tai Ji Quan sessions - offered twice weekly for 12 weeks in fall and spring (must be trained instructor)
- RN for health care support visits to the ill and elderly - as needed
- RN for assessment and evaluation visits in homes, hospitals, NH, ALF - as needed
- Prayer support - ongoing
- Transport/accompany to medical visits - as needed
Time & Training Required:
Depending on the services provided, time commitment can be a one-time project, or monthly, weekly, or quarterly involvement depending on the volunteer's availability, skills, and the Parish Nursing need.
Active RN license needed for some activities.
Approximately 2 hours of orientation and training plus Safe Environment Training are required.
Health professionals of all types.
Friendly, outgoing, warm, prayerful.
If the individual is a nurse, she/he must have the ability to operate within the Oklahoma State Nurse Practice Act and under the Scope and Standards of Faith Community Nursing. The nurse is not an agent of a physician and therefore does not perform any invasive activity. The nurse must be willing to document all activities and/or report activities to the paid Parish Nurse for documentation.