Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit (vitae spiritualis ianua), and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission: "Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water and in the word."
(From the Catechism of the Catholic Church)
Baptism Preparation Parents preparing to celebrate the baptism of their child are required to attend three baptismal preparation sessions in order to prepare their child for baptism. Sessions will be offered monthly or as frequently as needed.
Parent Prerequisites: 1. The parents of the child must be registered at St. John's.
2. The parents must regularly attend Mass, including attendance at Mass the two months prior to the baptismal preparation meetings.
3. The parents must inform the Parish Office on which baptismal preparation sessions they plan on attending.
Godparent Prerequisites 1. Godparents must be practicing Catholics in good standing with their parish.
2. Godparents must be 18 years of age or older.
3. Godparents must have received the Catholic Sacraments of Baptism, Holy Eucharist and Confirmation.
Baptismal Preparation Sessions: 1. Parents and Godparents must attend three evening sessions.
2. Sessions will be offered three weeks in a row and will last approximately 90 minutes.
3. Parents or Godparents who miss a session must make it up at the next available session or by appointment with Deacon George Butterfield.
Godparents Who Live Out of Town: 1. Godparents must attend the baptismal preparation program at the nearest Catholic parish and submit a letter to the St. John's Parish Office, signed by the Pastor stating they have completed the program.
2. Godparents must watch the Reborn video for Godparents and sign and return a form to the St. John's Parish Office stating they have viewed the video.
Parents Who Have Previously Attended Baptismal Preparation at St. John's and Wish To Have Another Child Baptized: 1. If the parents have received baptismal preparation at St. John's in the past, the following will apply:
a. They will not be required to attend a training session;
b. They will be required to watch the three Reborn videos, sign and return a form to the St. John's Parish Office stating they have viewed the videos;
c. They must meet with Deacon George Butterfield.
2. If the parents received the revised training, they only need to meet with Deacon George Butterfield.
3. Even though the parents may not need to attend the training sessions, the Godparents of the child must attend or fulfill the out of town requirements. Godparents who have met these requirements before need only meet with Deacon George Butterfield.
Adult Baptism Preparation is conducted through the RCIA Program.